Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Snowy Winter Hike

Today I was the hike leader for our local hiking club.  We went south on the Appalachian Trail for 3 1/2 miles, had lunch at a shelter and then back out again.  The sun was supposed to shine in the afternoon, but that never happened. 
It's pretty much an uphill climb to the shelter and the higher we went the colder and snowier it became.  Much of the trail was covered in a foot of snow with drifts in a few spots to the top of my leg.  The trail was also a little icy from the warmer temperatures a couple of days ago, melting the snow and freezing again at night.  It was quite a difficult hike considering the conditions.  Walking in the snow and slipping on the ice made my knee not very happy.  It was too cold for the batteries to make my camera function so I was never able to get the pictures of the snow drifts.  You'll just have to believe me that they were there!!
The topic of conversation from two other friends and myself as we walked along was that of the upcoming backpacking trip we're going to do in GA starting at the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.  Yes, here I go again...another year on the trail!!  I can't get enough of that trail.  It gets in your blood and never seems to end.  I feel good while I'm hiking with the exception of my left knee.  It's just so unstable. I'm hoping the physical therapist and orthopedic doctor can get it back in shape.
On our way back to the car there was a huge "peace symbol" made out of downed wood and an old thick vine.  It was there a month ago and is still there.  I wonder how many people walk past it and never see it?  I wish there was more peace in this world.
Once we got further down in elevation it was a little warmer and the snow was gone.  I'm still waiting for the woods to come alive with chattering from wildlife, but we're expecting some more snow...ugh!


~ Deep Gap Shelter ~
                                         ~ come sit a while ~                            
~ peace ~

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful and challenging hike!
    Loved the peace sign!

    ReplyDelete